Finding & Using Tariff Codes
Tariff codes are product-specific codes that are used to classify all traded goods. Harmonised System (HS) codes are an international system of tariff codes used globally. The Government uses tariff codes to track trade flows and to charge the correct tariffs and duties on products. It is a legal obligation for importers and exporters to declare the correct tariff code when trading internationally.
Understanding how to identify and establish the correct codes will make completing your import documentation easier and crucially help ensure no unwanted and potentially costly surprises later in audits undertaken by HMRC or overseas customs authorities.
You’ll leave with a clear understanding of:
- An introduction to the Tariff Codes volumes I-III
- How to navigate the tariff
- How a tariff code attracts a duty
- Countervailing, anti-dumping and quotas
- Recording the declared originating papers
Essential Kit from ICC WBO Publications
These are offered exclusively from the ICC UK at a 20% discount when booking using EBC001 Promo code.
WTO & trade
- Guide to Export/import
- Government Assets UK Global Tariff Vols I-III